Cabbage Roll Soup
I can put up with the piles of laundry. I can bathe my kids and prepare their lunch boxes. But one thing I do not enjoy doing post-dinner time is spending an hour cleaning up a messy kitchen!
This is where one of my favourite recipes EVER comes in: cabbage roll soup. It delivers the same flavour as the eastern-European classic without the actual "rolling". This easy-to-make one-pot dish is an ideal weekday meal that will keep everyone's tummy full and taste buds happy- I always get requests for seconds! My one year old is also a fan of this recipe- he loves to eat it lightly blended.
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or chicken)
- 1 3/4 cups of white or brown rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups broth (chicken, veggie or beef!)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cabbage (about 3.5 lbs) chopped into strips
- 1 finely diced onion
- 3/4 pasta sauce jar
- 1/2 large can of diced or whole tomatoes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
HOW TO MAKE IT!
- In a separate pot, cook the rice with water or broth.
- In a large soup pot, heat olive oil in medium heat and brown ground beef.
- When the beef is browned, add chopped onions, cabbage, water, broth, pasta sauce, canned tomatoes and cooked rice. Season with paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Simmer for 20-30 minutes. Add water to adjust consistency to your liking.
- Serve in bowls with a dollop of sour cream, yogurt or non-dairy substitute.
- Freeze leftovers. Defrost in the fridge the night before eating them!
To Watch Carolina cooking this Cabbage Roll Soup in her kitchen, check out this video and don't forget to LIKE our Facebook page :