This week's Momjo Eats segment (SCROLL DOWN TO BOTTOM FOR VIDEO) features a weekday recipe that's a big family favourite at home! I learned to eat beans and rice from my husband's Peruvian family. Variations of this dish are typical of Andean and Central American countries. Also known as "Frijoles con Arroz", the dish is a source of healthy carbs, vegetable protein and tiny, hidden vegetables. No wonder this carbohydrate bomb is the go-to meal for millions of families in those regions!
My children adore Rice with Beans. So, with time, I've been able to adapt the different recipes I've found along the way into a dish that I must admit-- we eat on an almost weekly basis!
Here's the recipe! We can't wait to hear what YOUR family thought of it! Enjoy :)
Frijoles Con Arroz
(Scroll down for recipe)
What you'll need:
- 1 cup Pinto or Romano dry beans
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cooking onion, chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 cups of water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make it:
1. If you're going to prepare the beans for dinner time, make sure to presoak them. Place one cup of beans in a bowl. Cover the beans with water and leave for at least 8 hours. (If you own a pressure cooker, you can skip this step altogether).
2. In a large pot, heat the olive oil in medium-high heat. When oil is hot, cook all the vegetables together (onion, pepper, carrots, tomato, garlic) and stir with a wooden spoon until tender.
3. Add pre-soaked beans to the pot and incorporate into vegetables.
4. Add two cups of water, tomato paste and spices. Stir well.
5. Lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes - 1 hour.
Serve with brown rice or quinoa! And if you want to add some kick, drench your beans in your favourite spicy sauce! I'm loving Tabasco's Chipotle variety.
Buen Provecho! :)
Want to watch me make the beans? Check out our latest Facebook video right below: And don't forget to Like/Follow us on Facebook @findingmomjo for access to our latest content!